In 2005 the Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association Board of Trustees and the Judicial Liaison Committee presented 52 Creed of Professionalism Plaques to the Judges and Commissioners of the Pierce County Superior Court, Pierce County District Court, Tacoma Municipal Court and the Municipal Courts within Pierce County. The plaques will be displayed in their courtrooms and show the Creed of Professionalism for Washington lawyers. The purpose of the creed is to inspire and guide lawyers in the practice of law.
Washington State Bar Association Creed of Professionalism
As a proud member of the legal profession practicing in the state of Washington, I endorse the following principles of civil professional conduct, intended to inspire and guide lawyers in the practice of law:
- In my dealings with lawyers, parties, witnesses, members of the bench, and court staff, I will be civil and courteous and guided by fundamental tenets of integrity and fairness.
- My word is my bond in my dealings with the court, with fellow counsel and with others.
- I will endeavor to resolve differences through cooperation and negotiation, giving due consideration to alternative dispute resolution.
- I will honor appointments, commitments and case schedules, and be timely in all my communications.
- I will design the timing, manner of service, and scheduling of hearings only for proper purposes, and never for the objective of oppressing or inconveniencing my opponent.
- I will conduct myself professionally during depositions, negotiations and any other interaction with opposing counsel as if I were in the presence of a judge.
- I will be forthright and honest in my dealings with the court, opposing counsel and others.
- I will be respectful of the court, the legal profession and the litigation process in my attire and in my demeanor.
- As an officer of the court, as an advocate and as a lawyer, I will uphold the honor and dignity of the court and of the profession of law. I will strive always to instill and encourage a respectful attitude toward the courts, the litigation process and the legal profession.
This creed is a statement of professional aspiration adopted by the Washington State Bar Association Board of Governors on July 27, 2001, and does not supplant or modify the Washington Rules of Professional Conduct.