Say “Yes” to pro bono!
TPCBA members have strong ethical, professional and personal reasons to use their legal education and experience to help people who cannot afford to hire or even speak to an attorney, and who face civil legal issues affecting basic human needs.
Plus, there are special advantages to TPCBA members who volunteer through the TPCBA’s TacomaProbono program.
TACOMAPROBONO Program Perks:
- You can satisfy the requirements for up to 24 CLE credits by doing pro bono work, with no training requirement
- Pro bono hours can include giving advice or providing a limited service through a clinic, providing full or limited representation to a low-income client, and many other possibilities including our new ‘virtual clinic’ which allows you to give advice to clients in our office from a remote location
- All pro bono work through Tacomaprobono is designed to meet the civil legal needs of our county’s low-income population by working with you to find a volunteer opportunity that works with your schedule and your interests
- The amount and frequency of pro bono work is entirely up to you
- Clients are pre-screened for eligibility (currently up to 200% of the Federal Poverty Level) â€” and you choose the clients and cases you want
- Malpractice insurance is provided for attorneys who do pro bono work through the TACOMAPROBONO
- Mentoring is available
- A variety of training is available, live and online
- Some support for unusual costs of litigation is available
- TACOMAPROBONO works with other legal aid and social services providers in Pierce County to be sure you and your pro bono clients receive the best possible support and referral
- If you don’t have your own office, TACOMAPROBONO can provide office space, copier, internet access, and private client interview rooms, at our pleasant office in First Tower, 621 Tacoma Ave. S., close to the Courthouse
- You will be contributing to a more efficient and fair environment in court if you provide legal services to someone who would otherwise be appearing pro se, and directly helping to create equal justice in our community by representing someone who would otherwise not be able to appear at all
For more details visit the website: TACOMAPROBONO
TACOMAPROBONO previously Volunteer Legal Services (VLS)